12 December 2011

Why would you start a blog about role playing games?

We are talking here about table top role playing games, mostly: the kind with dice, paper, pencils; the kind with ‘characters’, character sheets, maps, diagrams, rules, handwritten notes, impromptu speech; the kind with friends, acquaintances, snacks, a glass of wine, played mostly face-to-face by teenagers or adults through conversation in real time.  
Most importantly, we are talking about the kind of games that involve you and me in creating and exploring new stories about people, places and events in freshly imagined (or re-imagined) worlds.  
Much has already been written on many other blogs about this kind of role playing.
So why would you, or I, or anyone else, start yet another blog among the thousands(?) of role-players’ existing blogs?  
But that is a bit like asking why would you write a novel?  Lots of people have already written lots of novels, so why bother?  I suspect the answers have something to do with human nature, the nature of discourse, the nature of art.
Depending on who you are, you might have many reasons for starting your own blog about role playing.  Maybe you want to organise and share your thoughts about the hobby, to share a series of games played with a group of friends, or to promote your commercial role playing products.  
Many times in the last few years I have asked myself that question: why bother?  It seems to be part of my way of working through the long, futile process of resisting the irresistible: a kind of procrastinator’s rearguard action.  I still don’t know the answer.  Right now, it seems to me the only way I will ever really find out, is to write the cursed thing and see what happens.
So this blog is my experiment, my attempt, my essay.  I hope you find it interesting and useful.
Next: What really makes an rpg sing?

2 comments:

  1. Dear James, We are star crossed lovers! Meet me? Cybercrone

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous

    Ah, Cybercrone *sigh*. It is impossible. You know that I am already in a committed relationship. J

    ReplyDelete